booksomewench: (weaving)
[personal profile] booksomewench
If you could perform one role on Broadway, what would it be and why?

I think mine would be Elphaba. Her range is comfortable for me, she's the lead character, not just the female lead, and a lot of female roles are either annoying ingenue (Cosette, Christine) or limited (Eponine, Joanne, Meg). I like Elphaba's character arc and growth and so many of her songs are just amazing.

You?

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 03:05 am (UTC)
ktnb: (kids: mine is an evil laugh)
From: [personal profile] ktnb
Mama Morton (from Chicago). I'm usually drawn to the secondary female characters who have one or two really good songs (see: Eponine), and lead females are out because sigh, I'm an alto. But I love Chicago and I <333 Mama. I also wouldn't have to become anorexic to play her, which would be a nice bonus. ;)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 03:13 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shadowravyn.livejournal.com
Ooh, Mama Morton's a good one. I adore "When You're Good to Mama."

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 03:25 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rm.livejournal.com
Florence in Chess because man, I have so been there, also really nice for the parts of my voice I love the most.

Mordred in Camelot. It's one song, but it's one really fun song. And I completely don't give a shit that it's a male role.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 04:32 am (UTC)
ext_22798: (Default)
From: [identity profile] anghara.livejournal.com
Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady. And yes, I CAN do the Cockney accent.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 04:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tinylegacies.livejournal.com
Maureen in RENT.

She rocks. And has the best songs.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 06:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] justababyduck.livejournal.com
Victor/Victoria, duh.

Or, the emcee in Cabaret.

Anyone sensing a theme?

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 12:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] balsamicdragon.livejournal.com
OK, don't laugh :) I'm not a huge Broadway person, but when I was a kid I was _obsessed_ (along with my entire class) with Annie. We acted out scenes and sung songs every recess. (I was generally the youngest orphan or the dog, being the smallest kid in my class). So assuming this is a fantasy role where I can act and sing and dance really well, I think I'd also like to be 12 years old with big orange hair :)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 02:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] zombie-dog.livejournal.com
Sweeney Todd.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-29 06:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] anitra.livejournal.com
I'd actually love to sing Maria from the Sound of Music.

And yeah, Eliza Doolittle, but I can't do the accent. (Either the cockney or the "proper" accent, really.)

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-30 12:33 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] how-low-am-i.livejournal.com
interesting everyone is choosing musicals. id want to play hamlet in an all women's production of Hamlet.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-30 04:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thorgodoft.livejournal.com
For Wicked, I wish I could belt out Fiyero's part, but I'd be better as the Wizard.

I'd love to play Charlie Brown in a revival of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

Also - going way back - I'd love to do Sir Joseph Porter KCB or the Captain in H.M.S. Pinafore.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-30 09:06 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hntrpyanfar.livejournal.com
I can't think of that many Broadway musicals right now. D'oh!

I'd enjoy the hell out of being an over-the-top Carlotta from Phantom of the Opera. ;)

I'd also enjoy the baker's wife from Into The Woods. (... and a prince for... whatever!)

Not just 'cause I have kids (maybe)

Date: 2011-05-31 02:09 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cristovau.livejournal.com
Willy Wonka - lovable, goofy, eclectic, mysterious, slightly psychedelic, plus a solid baritone part. No question.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-05-31 12:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] teampeeta.livejournal.com
I played the part in Jr. High, but it'd be fun to be Charlie Brown again from You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.

If I could change sexes for a day? Mama Rose from Gypsy.

If we're talking plays? It'd be Austin from True West.

Woman for a day in a play? It'd be Vivian Bearing from W;t.

(no subject)

Date: 2011-06-01 01:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] puffinmuffin.livejournal.com
I'm not even nearly limber enough to do it, (and I'm completely the wrong gender, to boot), but Rum Tum Tugger from Cats would be such a ridiculously fun role, I think.

But for stuff that I'm slightly more suited for, probably Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She's smart and strong, the musical was crazy fun, and her songs are all nicely within my range.

Profile

booksomewench: (Default)
booksomewench

October 2012

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930 31   

Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios