*cries*

NSFW May. 2nd, 2009 11:21 pm
booksomewench: (Headache)
[personal profile] booksomewench
So, I'm writing about fandom and making all these claims, and yet, can't find evidence online to back them up. But, they're common knowledge!

For example, I'm making the claim that fans marry and intergeneration fannish families are becoming more common. That almost falls under the "Well, duh" category (I can name at least five friends on my f-list as living, breathing examples of this phenomenon without even trying, including, well, MYSELF. Not that con relationships ever work out, right [livejournal.com profile] quish?*) but there are no statistics--that I have found--stating this. I feel very odd making claims without being able to back them up.

Dammit! Anthropologists, start doing more geek-based research!

Yarg.

* Since I do have new readers, I should explain that I do believe that con relationships can work out. I never would have marries [livejournal.com profile] shogunhb if I didn't. However, [livejournal.com profile] quish did warn me against them soon after [livejournal.com profile] shogunhb and I first started dating (after meeting at Worldcon 2004). This is the same girl who told me to punch her if she ever got engaged to [livejournal.com profile] purple_dj, which I did, several days before their wedding last summer.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 03:42 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tmchiba.livejournal.com
*example here!* hehe (come on when my fanfic's number of chapters equals my fiancee's birthday in the fandom she adores, something's clicking.)

There has to be a testable sample out there somewhere....hmm...case studies maybe?

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 03:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] quish.livejournal.com
He had long hair! He couldn't be trusted!!!

I think the lesson learned here is don't take my advice when it comes to men.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 04:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shadowravyn.livejournal.com
But you were convinced you and [livejournal.com profile] ddrpolaris would make an excellent couple.

And have you finished my questionnaire yet?

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 04:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mpgalvin.livejournal.com
just collect anecdotes until it's data.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 05:35 am (UTC)
ext_267866: (Default)
From: [identity profile] buddykat.livejournal.com
I feel very odd making claims without being able to back them up.

Primary sources (your questionnaire, interviews, your own observations at cons, etc) are an *excellent* resource. Sadly, not enough anthropologists are doing geek related research (yet), so use what you have seen and what others have told you about themselves as primary sources... Eventually your paper will be one of the sources for someone else doing the research that you need now!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 07:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pixelfish.livejournal.com
I'm an intergenerational nerd, but my parents weren't really engaged in fandom. They both liked Lord of the Rings and science fiction, but I don't think they had any inkling about organised fandom. (And neither did we kids until we hit our late teens.)

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 11:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] anitra.livejournal.com
Same here. Although my dad was more on the computer-tinkering side, and my mom on the scifi/fantasy/literature side.

And there's no WAY our kid(s) can escape...

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-03 02:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gunthersdncemix.livejournal.com
BTW - I keep forgetting to tell you this, but check out Henry Jenkins work, he writes a lot about fandoms

I admit I've read his articles, not his books, but these books look the most relevant:
Fans, Bloggers, and Gamers: Media Consumers in a Digital Age
The Wow Climax: Tracing the Emotional Impact of Popular Culture
Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture (Studies in Culture and Communication)

I swear I've seen a few articles in passing about people who get married in second life.

When is your paper due? I could try to use my mad library-skillz if you need more help, let me know :)

Add in one more...

Date: 2009-05-03 07:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] anu3bis.livejournal.com
anu3bis and balsamicdragon, the Boston Worldcon 15 years before that . We met at Noreascon III, started dating at Arisia '96, and are about to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-04 02:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] yonaruth.livejournal.com
Uhhh... My parents met at a Star Trek convention because they both wrote fanfic -- my mom had a table publicizing her zine and my dad wanted to submit some of his stuff. They raised me on Trek; I'm like a crack baby.

Oh, and then my mom went on to meet my step-dad in a Star Trek role playing chat room on compuserve. (She was playing the same character [Spock's son] she had written the zines about.) They met in person 3 times before they got married.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-05-04 06:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nyren.livejournal.com
I couldn't imagine dating someone who wasn't a geek with some overlapping geeky interests. I mean, you don't need to have EVERYTHING in common in a relationship, but geeks need to geek out. That's what the definition of being a geek is, as far as I care. If you can't geek out with your SO, what the heck is the point of having one? :P

Profile

booksomewench: (Default)
booksomewench

October 2012

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930 31   

Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios