And I just realized, I never got my staff shirt. Phooey. I want my staff shirt.
Lessee, a MUCH better con than we've had since...prolly since we left the Escher Hilton in the first place. I met a bunch of new people (and Leigh made it a point to introduce me to a few of the pros that I've been programming for since '02, but had never officially 'met'), and they all reassured me that they'll be glad to help me out in the next year to make the transition over to head programmer suxxorz less. I also connected with a lot of the staff that I'd only just known peripherally before, and they also promised to help. I believe them a bit more.
I admit, I'm nervous. Programming has been pretty stellar these last 5 years, and I know what percentage of that is Leigh's doing versus how much is mine. I'd hate for next year to be a giant disappointment, especially since Jacqueline Carey's GOH next year. I should have held off till '09 or '10, and just put some poor schmuck I've never heard of and didn't care as much about in her place. This way, I wouldn't be having performance anxiety on top of performance anxiety.
Anyway, it was a good con. I had a better time this year, but less fun, if that makes sense. I felt a little lonely this year, because even when I was surrounded by friends I was generally busy with something else. And I went to only 2 panels that weren't my own, and panels are my favorite part of any con. So, while I felt that the con was overall a success, and was proud of my contribution to it, and had a much lower ratio of things that sucked vs things that ruled, my personal fun meter didn't go quite as high as it had in years past.
Damn responsibility. That is one of the bonuses of fully taking over for Leigh. I'll be in charge of off-site programming, so I can spend Lunacon in (relative) ease like he does, rather than in a state of near-constant panic like Seth and Jon.
Or so I'd foolishly like to believe.
I also got hurt twice at Lunacon. Thursday night, I got a bitch of a splinter under my left index finger nail. It sunk in pretty deep, and was really wide and splintery. Hurt like hell. One of the volunteers was an EMT (she brought her bag & everything & was SOOPER useful throughout the con) pulled it out for me (although we pretended she wasn't an EMT then, since she's 'technically' not allowed to pull out things from the body that aren't obstructing airways) although it took about 45 painful minutes to do so. Like I said, wedged in deep. I didn't cry, 'cause I'm a brave little toaster, but I did whimper a bit. Then I got glass in my heel on Saturday afternoon and had to pull that out. I was able to do that myself, and the glass hurt less than splinters.
I missed Christopher Moore completely, but
ladyscience got a booked signed for me. Yay her! And
quish very much impressed me in the Dealer's Room, but that's her story to tell. Let her brag. She deserves it.
A real con report may (but probably won't) follow, where I discuss panels & the like, but for now, I just wanted to get down impressions before sleep. I also have my birth certificate, so tomorrow is passport day. Huzzah!
Lessee, a MUCH better con than we've had since...prolly since we left the Escher Hilton in the first place. I met a bunch of new people (and Leigh made it a point to introduce me to a few of the pros that I've been programming for since '02, but had never officially 'met'), and they all reassured me that they'll be glad to help me out in the next year to make the transition over to head programmer suxxorz less. I also connected with a lot of the staff that I'd only just known peripherally before, and they also promised to help. I believe them a bit more.
I admit, I'm nervous. Programming has been pretty stellar these last 5 years, and I know what percentage of that is Leigh's doing versus how much is mine. I'd hate for next year to be a giant disappointment, especially since Jacqueline Carey's GOH next year. I should have held off till '09 or '10, and just put some poor schmuck I've never heard of and didn't care as much about in her place. This way, I wouldn't be having performance anxiety on top of performance anxiety.
Anyway, it was a good con. I had a better time this year, but less fun, if that makes sense. I felt a little lonely this year, because even when I was surrounded by friends I was generally busy with something else. And I went to only 2 panels that weren't my own, and panels are my favorite part of any con. So, while I felt that the con was overall a success, and was proud of my contribution to it, and had a much lower ratio of things that sucked vs things that ruled, my personal fun meter didn't go quite as high as it had in years past.
Damn responsibility. That is one of the bonuses of fully taking over for Leigh. I'll be in charge of off-site programming, so I can spend Lunacon in (relative) ease like he does, rather than in a state of near-constant panic like Seth and Jon.
Or so I'd foolishly like to believe.
I also got hurt twice at Lunacon. Thursday night, I got a bitch of a splinter under my left index finger nail. It sunk in pretty deep, and was really wide and splintery. Hurt like hell. One of the volunteers was an EMT (she brought her bag & everything & was SOOPER useful throughout the con) pulled it out for me (although we pretended she wasn't an EMT then, since she's 'technically' not allowed to pull out things from the body that aren't obstructing airways) although it took about 45 painful minutes to do so. Like I said, wedged in deep. I didn't cry, 'cause I'm a brave little toaster, but I did whimper a bit. Then I got glass in my heel on Saturday afternoon and had to pull that out. I was able to do that myself, and the glass hurt less than splinters.
I missed Christopher Moore completely, but
A real con report may (but probably won't) follow, where I discuss panels & the like, but for now, I just wanted to get down impressions before sleep. I also have my birth certificate, so tomorrow is passport day. Huzzah!
Comment posted ot March 15, wanted you to see, so re-posted to your latest...
Date: 2007-03-19 05:55 am (UTC)Mar. 19th, 2007 05:30 am (UTC)
Comments
Glad you're back and had a good time! The dresses are purchased and hanging in my closet!!! They're beautiful and the we all love them, especially the girls!!! They tried on tiaras with veils and headbands with veils. Hayley really wanted some gloves she saw, and Naomi really wanted the size 10, so she could use it longer, but it was too sloppy. Btw, if I had been keeping up with your LJ, where would I have found the dresses viewed in the poll???
Link | Reply | Thread
westab wrote:
Mar. 19th, 2007 05:52 am (UTC)
Re: Comments
Oh, I see now where the dress choices were. #4 in adorable. #5 would have matched your dress tone better I think, but cost is a consideration and #6 was still $70 retail B4 discount to $48. And, with the girls being so slender in shoulder, the sleeves would have had to have been altered just so, for even greater cost, or they would have probably been slipping down.
They love their dresses and feel like princesses in them. In fact, Hayley wanted this beautiful white headband with veil (or whatever you call it when it hangs in the back), and she really wanted these pair of white gloves...she felt she really had to have them to make the outfit!, and Naomi wanted this tiara with attached veil...and a size 10 to wear way into the future, but it was sloppy and would have to have been altered (only if they wouldn't have cut it, just taken it in under the arms...
So, all is well, and the dresses are amazing!!!
NUANCE, please read my emails. There is important stuff in there and the tux situation needs your immediate attention.
Thanks, and love,
Westa
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-19 06:37 pm (UTC)Also since you are a head honcho now, who do I talk to about getting a panel about Character who were great but became a disappointing mess and you want to bash their creator over the head and smack their hands with a ruler anytime they make a mistake like turning their character into a walking crotch of doom... so we can all lament and commiserate together.
Yea... or just how fans have been thwoarted by series being stopped in the middle of publication like l.j.smith's or season like firefly and angel and again commiserate and lament.
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-19 07:59 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-19 11:44 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-20 12:40 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-22 05:28 pm (UTC)In addition to making the masks, if Laura does decide to do a dealers room, she could always sell masks, too.
Hey, Nuance, found you...
Date: 2007-03-22 05:56 am (UTC)Alma
Re: Hey, Nuance, found you...
Date: 2007-03-22 05:30 pm (UTC)And now I have no idea where it is. Typical, huh?
I hope you had a ton of fun at Lunacon this year, and I'll be making damn sure you have fun next year...although, I may devote some of the upcoming year to whimpering quietly in the corner. ~_^
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-22 05:10 pm (UTC)Later!
*hugs*
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-25 04:46 am (UTC)Happy b-day.
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-26 02:58 am (UTC)You are now part of the wide world of Nu's friends on LJ. Even if you weren't cool enough to make it in on your own merits (which you are), that icon wins at life. May I steal it? If so, who do I credit for making it?
BTW, did you know the long-haired guy at the con who was wearing the brown kilt you kept complimenting is my roommate. Anytime I mention you, he's like, "Wait, the hot pink-haired girl who liked my kilt?"
(no subject)
Date: 2007-03-26 04:30 am (UTC)Yes, you may. All my icons are made by me, so you may credit
As to the kilt man, heh.