booksomewench: (tits)
[personal profile] booksomewench
So [livejournal.com profile] mentia999, [livejournal.com profile] quish, and I have been going to the gym together. We started in December, kinda took January off, and then started going back the first full week of February, three times a week, for a little over an hour and a half each session. We generally do about 45 minutes to an hour of weight training, 20-30 minutes of cardio, and 10-15 minutes of stretching. (Plus, I walk there and back so that's about an extra 20-30 minutes of walking exercise.)

It's actually starting to make a difference. The first day we went back, I almost crawled home from the gym, and I was in so much pain the next day, I could hardly move. Laughing at my Tuesday night game hurt so much I was nearly sick (and since it was [livejournal.com profile] the_real_troll's Shadowrun game, all we do is laugh. Well, we also kill (and occasionally molest) people, but mostly, we laugh.) and laying in any other position than 'fetal' was an impossibility. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really sore after each visit, but I'm no longer incapacitated. I'm also seeing more muscle development in places on my body that are not already covered in flab. My biceps have little teeny, tiny baby muscles, and on the sides of my stomach, right below the ribs, I can feel little muscles forming. They're cute. I'm also able to work out with more weight and at higher reps. I've increased my weight load on almost all the machines by one, and in some cases, in two. I'm also able to do more sit ups on the Inclined Thingy of Doom (tm) much faster and at a steeper incline. Over all, I feel good about my progress.

I'm not seeing a big difference on my scale, though. Yes, I know, muscle weighs more than fat, but it would be nice to have something that I can point to (besides nascent bicep muscles) and say "Yes, I am indeed acheiving my weight loss goals." I'm not actually seeing much of a flab-loss; my 'trouble spots' are just as troublesome as ever. Granted I am my own harshest critic (except [livejournal.com profile] ddrpolaris), but I wanna be able to see some real difference for my trouble. I'm a whiny American, I want everything immediately.

Some good things: At my doctor's, I weighed less than I did the last time I was weighed (but they weigh me in all of my clothes, so I may have just been wearing lighter clothing.)

At the wedding gown store, the lady looked at me and said, "Oh, I see we're going to have to make some alterations for you. You look thinner." But it'd be a good sales tactic to say that to almost every bride, cause really, what bride isn't trying to lose weight for her wedding day?

Shaughn also says I'm looking "svelter", but if there's one thing I learned from my family, it's that the people who love you lie to you the most.

That's my biggest problem though, I second guess everything. I'm working on not doing that, but I've got 22 years of habits to unlearn. *Sigh*

I've also decided that it'll be okay to loose some weight from my bra, too. A lot of my old dresses look funny on me because my bust is way too big for the fabric and they get smushed flat and make me look fatter than I am. Really, when someone goes from a sex symbol to a fertility icon, you know something's gotta change.

Still, overall, I'm proud of myself and what I've accomplished. To celebrate, I'm going to go eat a giant bowl of ice cream.*

9!

(days till my 25th birthday)


*Yes Folks, the ice cream thing was a joke.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-02-21 08:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] nightskyre.livejournal.com
Have you ever heard of The Hacker's Diet? I followed it pretty closely last summer and lost 25 pounds on it. No, seriously. I'm up 5 since I stopped, but still, a net of 20 is pretty decent, especially including the holiday season.

It's very interesting, because it's a much more analytical way of looking at how the body works. As far as sheer weight loss goes, it's the way to go. The best part is that the principles in it can be applied to any pre-existing plan.

Once the weather is warmer and I won't hate myself for eating salad again (It's cold outside, why would I want to eat cold food?!?) I'll get back on it.


In the interest of fairness, I should mention, I started the diet in June, and I started riding my bike around 75 miles a week in mid July until mid September. I would be remiss if I didn't mention this fact. However, the numbers are interesting to look at. Seriously, check it out, the whole book is online.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-02-21 08:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rgfgompei.livejournal.com
Why don't you try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself? Then you can see results not confounded with fat vs. muscle weight?

I agree, and would like to add...

Date: 2007-02-21 10:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dirkcjelli.livejournal.com
You're not rocket payload, so your appearance and sense of wellbeing are more important than your total mass.

Re: I agree, and would like to add...

Date: 2007-02-22 06:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shadowravyn.livejournal.com
Thanks. I probably laughed for about 3 straight minutes at "you're not a rocket payload" and it really did make me feel better.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-02-22 03:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] charmed1ofdoom.livejournal.com
Honey you got it backwards, Fertility Icons are sex symbols. They may not be "sexy" by Western or modern standards but there is or once was some person turned on by them. Hey it worked for Wolffin and his love of the Greek statuary.

On a different note I am proud of your commitment and dedication to change. And I support you cuz I that only requires me saying "go get em tiger" and "way to go" without actually participating. Yea, no exercising and me!

(no subject)

Date: 2007-02-22 03:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] astareal.livejournal.com
I agree with measuring inches (arms, legs, and waist/hips/belly) every few weeks or every month. It's a nice thing to lose inches. And once you have more muscle just think of how much higher your metabolism will be! Higher metabolism = burn lots of calories. BUT don't forget to eat enough protein to feed the muscles. Lots of protein (35% or more of your diet) and 1600 calories or so a day is what's helped me the most.

(no subject)

Date: 2007-03-02 02:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ranecloude.livejournal.com
See I have that relationship with Rob where we've kind of agreed not to let the other slip too far down the overweight path. Of couse, he has it easier since his metabolism is sky high and can eat and eat and eat and NOT gain more than a pound that's gone in a month because his body gobbles it back up. Meanwhile, I'll ask, "Am I getting a little belly pudge?" And he'll honestly answer! And even though I WANT him to answer honestly, I DONT. So yea. I end up getting mad and working out frantically for the next month before giving up again.

Profile

booksomewench: (Default)
booksomewench

October 2012

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930 31   

Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios